Two pink lines!

WP_20130823_004[1]

Well, that’s what this blog was supposed to be called. Two pink lines for that much-awaited (much-dreaded?!) sending-a-shiver-down-your-spine outcome on a bathroom floor that turns your entire life upside down for better or for worse. I got mine more than a year ago, on a rainy August morning, in a test taken sneakily while the husband (whom i lovingly refer to as Monkey) was dozing outside in our mango colored comforter, blissfully unaware of what was to come.

After months of doctors’ visits, pills and disappointing one pink lines, we had mutually decided to forget about babies and parenthood for a while and just “enjoy life” (read: start those late night drunken escapades again!). A mad weekend road trip followed, where we took the forgetting part extremely seriously by wholeheartedly reveling in vodka, dives in the pool, and strenuous adventure activities.

Back at home with a missed cycle, the wishful mother in me could not resist and i bought a home pregnancy test on the sly (by telling Monkey that i needed a toothbrush – not wanting him to go through what was sure to be another disappointment) and hid it in the bathroom. Next morning, i tiptoed into the bathroom and watched the strip with eyes half shut and bated breath as i brushed. And slowly but surely the magic happened, as two lines appeared. Whaaaatttt???! I did a double take. Blinked. Those two lines were still there. I trembled from top-to-toe as i came out of the bathroom in a daze. “What happened sweetheart?” was Monkey’s first reaction as he helped me sit on the bed, worried sick about what had happened to me inside. “Sweetie, i think I’m pregnant” i could barely whisper. He bolted out of bed and ran inside to check on his own. We read and re-read the instructions. Called the doctor (who screamed in joy and shock herself!). Got a blood test done. And started on a very wonderful, tumultuous and overwhelming adventure called parenthood.

The journey from conception and pregnancy to parenthood is filled with twists and turns. Just when you think you’re sailing smoothly, a rough wind shakes your sails. Just when you think you know what’s coming, an unexpected outcome compels you to step back, reassess, reconsider and realign, much like the naming of this blog. But that is the best part about this whole journey. The ultrasound where you unexpectedly see a tiny worm that is your baby, amidst the black and white graininess. Or that afternoon, where you’re feeling hot and grumpy because you can’t turn over on your tummy and a determined punch on your right side suddenly reminds you of the life present inside.

Because the best surprises in life are the unexpected ones.

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. Shruti says:

What can I say Alisha. Except that you have put in your free time to a wonderful use… I have actually just quickly brushed through it. But I will read it again more detailed…
    Congratulations 👍 👍 👍

2. Rumi's mommy says:

Thanks Shruti! 🙂 :* yeah, you have to find that SOMETHING that will take you through some absolutely maddening days…you know it all too well “hautnah” right? 🙂 im looking forward to sharing lots more in the days to come 🙂

3. LiveLaughLove says:

Hi Alisha!! Howre you? You write really well, and I’ve enjoyed reading these posts. 🙂 looking forward to catching up on the next post.

1. Rumi's mommy says:

hey anu! 🙂 loong time and thanks so much! how are things with you, we must catch up!

4. LiveLaughLove says:

Hi Alisha! How are you? Hope you’re well! You write really well and I’ve enjoyed reading these posts. Good luck on this incredible journey and looking forward to reading more. 🙂

5. Navreet says:

Hi Alisha

I’m almost 6 months into pregnancy and came across ur blog through a link posted by Shweta. Must say that this is the time when the anticipation of the months-to-come gets truly overwhelming at times. As you would know there is loads of advice flowing in from everywhere at this stage, sometimes all u need is a candid chat and a true admittance of what the experience is like…and this almost felt like a conversation! Thanks so much for sharing your experience…I ve made a note of your suggestions and shopping advice. Hopefully I shall endure the coming months!! Will keep an eye on the blog☺️

Congratulations😊

1. Rumi's mommy says:

Hey Navreet, many many congratulations! please let me know once the lil munchkin arrives, im looking forward to hearing from you! and thanks so much, please get in touch if you need anything at all or if you just need to rant like crazy (and belive me, we need that!) all the very best and lots of love 🙂

6. Shruti natu says:

Hi Alisha,
    I am sure you don’t remember but we met once at the Toons (camp) back in 2010 (Abhiraj was teaching us A2 at MMB). I read your blog last month and I simply loved it. Right from the adventure trip to goa in our case to those gloomy baby blues there was so much I could relate to. Thank you for sharing this. You write really well!
    My baby is a month and a half old now and I am still getting used to the new stuff she is learning every day. Life has never been so beautiful 😊
    Hope you continue sharing your ( interesting ) experiences. Cheers!

1. Rumi's mommy says:

Hi Shruti thanks so much for taking the time to read this and to comment, it means so much to me! how is your lil one doing? lots of love to both of you xxoo